Completing A FAFSA
Completing a FAFSA is not something that you do daily. Let's walk you through it.
FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid
What you will need:
- 2012 Tax information (What you filed this year)
- Parent's 2012 tax information if you are a dependent. (Click here to determine if you are a dependent or independent)
- The School Codes of the schools that you are interested in (Click Here to get them) It is ABSOLUTELY OK to add several school's codes. It will not hurt anything. In fact, it may speed things up for you.
- FAFSA PIN (to sign your FAFSA) (Click here to obtain a PIN)
- approximately 20-30 minutes
Step 1: Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
Step 2. Click on the "Start a New FAFSA button
If you have a previous FAFSA on file, click the Login button
Instructions are provided for each FAFSA question in the Help and Hints section on the right side of the page and are available by clicking Need Help? at the bottom of the page. You can also view available Help options for assistance.
Step 3: Fill in the blanks
If you get stumped, the Hint Section will ALWAYS be open, and will guide you.
It even tells you which line to look at on your taxes when you are inputting your financial information.
Fill in the information, look at the Hint Section if necessary
When you get to the end, sign with your PIN number.
KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU SEE
"FAFSA Submission Confirmation"
A few weeks after submitting, you will receive a Student Aid Report, which details your information, and what you are eligible for.